Research Assistantship Grant
The Associação Centro de Astrofísica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP) invites applications for one "Bolsa de Investigação" with a maximum duration of 6.5 months.
The position is offered in the context of the project FCOMP-01-0124-FEDER-029170 (Reference FCT PTDC/FIS-AST/3214/2012), with financial support provided by FCT-MEC (PIDDAC) and FEDER (COMPETE), with the title "An exploration of the assembly history of galaxies with the novel concept of self-consistent spectral synthesis".
The successful candidate should preferably start on 15th March 2015 and he/she is expected to pursue research in the framework of a PhD project on the exploration of the star formation- and chemical enrichment history of galaxies from Sloan Digital Sky Survey with spectral synthesis models.
The fellowship contract will comply with the 'Regulamento de Formação Avançada' of the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT). According to the rules of the FCT, the monthly allowance will be 980 euro (tax free).
The successful candidate will be based at CAUP and integrated in the Thematic Line ''The assembly history of galaxies resolved in space and time'' of the recently established Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço.
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation.
- Curriculum Vitae (up to 6 pages).
- A complete list of academic courses (University level) previously attended, and respective grades, and an outline of the programming and/or data analysis experience of the candidate.
- Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate.
- The applicant must have completed a master degree. Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, or other relevant domains, will be considered. (30%)
- Good programming skills in Fortran 77/90+ and Python. (30%)
- Previous experience in evolutionary and population spectral synthesis, and good knowledge on photoionization models. (40%)
For inquires please contact PD. Dr. Polychronis Papaderos.
Applications will be accepted from the 24h of February until the 10th of March 2015.
The position will be granted only if suitable candidates are found.
Jean Michel Gomes
Andrew J. Humphrey
João J. G. Lima
Pedro T. P. Viana
Publication DateThe period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.
9th February 2015