Research assistantship grant
The Centro de Astrofísica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP) invites applications for one "Bolsa de Investigação".
The position is offered in the context of the project FCOMP-01-0124-FEDER-029170 (Reference FCT PTDC/FIS-AST/3214/2012), with financial support provided by FCT-MCTES (PIDDAC) and FEDER (COMPETE), with the title "An exploration of the assembly history of galaxies with the novel concept of self-consistent spectral synthesis".
The successful candidate should preferably start on 15th May 2014
and he/she is expected to pursue research in the following fields:
- Exploration of the star formation- and chemical enrichment history of galaxies with spectral synthesis models applied to single-aperture and integral field spectroscopy data;
- Studies of the photometric structure of galaxies using surface photometry.
The fellowship contract will comply with the 'Regulamento de Bolsas de Investigação da Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I. P. - 2013' and 'Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação'. According to the rules of the FCT, the monthly allowance will be 980€ (tax free). The contract will initially be offered for a period of 6 months, with the possibility of extension, upon satisfactory progress of the student.
The successful student is expected to enroll in the PhD programme of the University of Porto and will be integrated in the research section on "Galaxies and Observational Cosmology" at CAUP.
The application, to be submitted by email should include the following:
- Cover letter/e-mail with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- Curriculum Vitae (up to 6 pages);
- A complete list of academic courses (University level) previously attended, and respective grades, and an outline of the programming and/or data analysis experience of the candidate;
- Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate.
The applicant must have completed a master degree. Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, or other relevant domains, will be considered.
The evaluation of the candidates will be based on the following criteria:
i) degrees, including marks and contents of curricular units completed (25%);
ii) Good programming skills in Fortran 77/90+, as well as in Python and/or in the MIDAS programming language (25%);
iii) Previous experience in one or several of the following techniques:
evolutionary and/or population spectral synthesis, integral field spectroscopy, surface photometry, chemical abundance determinations using emission-line spectroscopy (25%);
iv) Motivation and demonstrated competencies for pursuing a PhD project, as reflected on the presentation letter and the interview (25%).
For inquires and submission of applications please contact PD Dr. Polychronis Papaderos.
Applications will be accepted from 17th of April to 2nd of May 2014.
The position will be granted only if suitable candidates are found.
Jean Michel Gomes
Andrew J. Humphrey
Pedro P. Avelino
Pedro T. P. Viana
Publication date:The period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.
3rd of April 2014