Research assistantship grant
The Centro de Astrofísica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP) invites applications for two "Bolsas de Investigação (Licenciado)".
The positions are offered in the context of the project FCOMP-01-0124-FEDER-029170 (Reference FCT PTDC/FIS-AST/3214/2012), with financial support provided by FCT-MCTES (PIDDAC) and FEDER (COMPETE), with the title "An exploration of the assembly history of galaxies with the novel concept of self-consistent spectral synthesis".
The successful candidates should preferably start on 1st July 2014 and are expected to pursue research in the following fields:
- Exploration of the star formation- and chemical enrichment history of galaxies with spectral synthesis models applied to integral field spectroscopy data from the Calar Alto Legacy Integral Field spectroscopy Area survey;
- Studies of the photometric structure of galaxies using surface photometry.
The fellowship contract will comply with the 'Regulamento de Bolsas de Investigação da Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I. P. - 2013' and 'Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação'. According to the rules of the FCT, the monthly allowance will be 745€ (tax free). The contracts will initially be offered for a period of 3 months, with the possibility of extension, upon satisfactory progress.
The application, to be submitted by email should include the following:
- Cover letter/e-mail with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- Curriculum Vitae (up to 6 pages);
- A complete list of academic courses (University level) previously attended, and respective grades, and an outline of the programming and/or data analysis experience of the candidate;
- Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate.
Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, or other relevant domains, will be considered.
The evaluation of the candidates will be based on the following criteria:
- degrees, including marks and contents of curricular units completed (30%);
- Good programming skills in Fortran 77/90+, as well as in Python and/or in the MIDAS programming language (30%);
- Previous experience in one or several of the following techniques:
evolutionary and/or population spectral synthesis, integral field spectroscopy, surface photometry, chemical abundance determinations using emission-line spectroscopy (40%).
For inquires please contact PD Dr. Polychronis Papaderos.
Applications will be accepted from 13th of June to 27th of June 2014.
The position will be granted only if suitable candidates are found.
Jean Michel Gomes
Andrew J. Humphrey
Pedro P. Avelino
Pedro T. P. Viana
Publication date:The period for application submission has ended for this opportunity.
29th of May 2014