Research Assistant FellowshipsThe Centro de Astrofísica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP) invites applications for research assistant fellowships in any of its fields of research. Priority is given to PhD students either registered at the University of Porto or PhD students from other Universities visiting CAUP for cooperation in a specific research project. Students registered for a Masters Dissertation/Project will also be considered.
CAUP is a young and active research institute situated at the main campus of the University of Porto. It is the largest astrophysics institute in the country and has been ranked excellent (top grade) by the national science foundation evaluation. The current staff includes 22 researchers (and also 12 Ph.D. students and several MSc students). The research activities at CAUP cover the following topics:
- Origin and Evolution of Stars and Planets (Star Formation, Planetary Systems, Stellar Structure and Evolution)
- Galaxies and Evolution of the Universe (Physical Properties of Galaxies, Observational Cosmology)
Both theoretical and observational work is pursued by the teams, as well as the scientific support of the development of astronomical instrumentation in these fields.
The research assistants will be actively involved in the activities of one of these groups depending on the grant awarded:
Applicants should forward (preferably, by email):
(1) letter of motivation and preferred research topics (if relevant indicate any of the options “B”),
(2) curriculum vitae (indicate your the student status for the 2007/2008 academic year),
(3) name, address and email of two referees.
Applications will be received from 14th of September to the 1st of October and the contracts will start as soon as possible. The inquiries on the applications and on the details of the grants, as well as the application (a PDF file sent by email is the preferred option) should be directed to:
Dr. Mário João P. F. G. Monteiro